John Faulkner: Alumni Awards for Distinguished Service - Community
Length: 1:18 minutes
Description: John Faulkner graduated in 1977 with a combined Bachelor of Arts/Diploma of Education degree from Macquarie University, where he was an esteemed Member of the Macquarie University Council from 1984 until 1992.
John worked as a specialist teacher of children with severe disabilities and then as a Research Officer for the New South Wales Minister for Sport and Recreation.
On the election of the Rudd Government in November 2007 John was appointed Special Minister of State, Cabinet Secretary and Vice-President of the Executive Council. He also served as a member of the National Security Committee of the Cabinet.
In June 2009 Senator Faulkner was appointed to the position of Minister for Defence, where his responsibilities covered defence strategic policy, our defence forces and defence capability. Whilst holding this portfolio he was awarded the inaugural John Button Parliamentary Integrity Award in recognition of his outstanding conduct. In July 2010 John announced his plans to step down from Cabinet following the upcoming Federal Election and return to the backbench after a significant contribution to Australian political life.
Watch and Listen
- An Introduction to Psychology
- Associate Professor Jemina Napier - Excellence in External Research Partnership
- Associate Professor Jennifer Hudson: Excellence in Research - Social Sciences, Business and Humanities
- Audiology and Speech Pathology Postgraduate Studies
- Australian School of Advanced Medicine Postgraduate Studies